How do you feel when you’re stuck behind a customer with the endless questions, driving while your child throws tantrums, or at work having difficulty enjoying your lunch as you listen to a complaining co-worker? If you answered “irritated, annoyed, or impatient,” I understand. Many of us have felt this way during these types of moments. Today, I would like to encourage you by telling you that we can rise above the occasion and let our light shine by cultivating the virtue of patience. How? Here are seven empowering and encouraging passages from God’s holy word:
1. Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret when people succeed in their ways, when they carry out their wicked schemes (Psalm 37:7).
2. Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience (Colossians 3:12).
3. Be completely humble and gentle; be patient, bearing with one another in love (Ephesians 4:2).
4. Better a patient person than a warrior, one with self-control than one who takes a city (Proverbs 16:32).
5. Whoever is patient has great understanding, but one who is quick-tempered displays folly (Proverbs 14:29).
6. Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up (Galatians 6:9).
7. The Lord will fight for you; you need only to be still (Exodus 14:14).
I hope you have been encouraged to grow in the grace of patience as you contemplate on these words of wisdom from our Heavenly Father. Have a great week as we demonstrate patience to everyone around us!