Topic

Home Forums Women’s Chat Devo Group 2 Timothy 1:3-7

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author

2 Timothy 1:3-7

3 I thank God, whom I serve, as my ancestors did, with a clear conscience, as night and day I constantly remember you in my prayers. 4 Recalling your tears, I long to see you, so that I may be filled with joy. 5 I am reminded of your sincere faith, which first lived in your grandmother Lois and in your mother Eunice and, I am persuaded, now lives in you also.
      6 For this reason I remind you to fan into flame the gift of God, which is in you through the laying on of my hands. 7 For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love and self-discipline. (NIV)

Timidity, cowardice, fear, anxiety, worry, apprehension. These words have perhaps been coming out of your mouth or running through your mind more often than usual in the past few months. And it is natural that we could feel that way. That we are tempted to allow everything that is happening around us to affect our reaction to it. That we could choose to cower in fear and wait until the storm has passed to come out and say, “Here I am Lord, use me!”

The focus of my thoughts on this passage of Scripture are on verse 7, that the Spirit of God does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline. This gem of Scripture reminds us that rather than letting fear, anxiety, or apprehension win during times of struggle or trial, when things seem the most confusing, we can react with love, with power, and with self-discipline. We can choose to leave every confusing, fearful thing at Jesus’ feet through prayer and go about our day, doing things that benefit everyone around us, including ourselves. We can choose to do things out of love and be an example of love in a world that is hurting, confused, and fearful. We can choose to practice self-discipline and continue reading the Bible, chatting with others, encouraging those whom we can, and put our love into action by doing things for others that need to be done!

I was at a very low point earlier this spring when verse 7 popped into my head. I tried not to think too much about it, but it stayed in there, like a Scriptural earworm, and I began to mull over the verse and what it ultimately means for me during a Pandemic. And I made a few decisions based on this verse. I encourage you to consider the ways you can show the Spirit of God in you through your love, self-discipline and power!

• #15444 Reply
      Liz TurnerLiz Turner

Thank you, Charlotte! Everyone, feel free to respond and share whatever you’d like. And here are some discussion questions as well:

1. Have you personally felt any of the anxiety or pain of this time?

2. In what ways have people ministered to you or others lately?

3. What one thing can you do today out of love? Self-discipline? Power?

• #15445 Reply

Hi Charlotte,
      What am encouraging message with which to start of the week. Thanks.

• #15446 Reply

Hi Charlotte,
      What an encouraging message with which to start of the week. Thanks.

• #15448 Reply

So true Charlotte,
      I often forget that God has given me a Spirit of “self discipline and power”, terrific reminder. It is so tempting to think it is all up to me. The anxiety I have felt is the total lack of control and loss of ” in person fellowship”. the one thing I did today was again connect electronically with people but I must admit it is not the same! have a good week everyone.

• #15457 Reply

I really love the idea of being reminded of this. I usually don’t appreciate the “you are beautiful, you are strong” type of memes I see a lot, but when I read in the Bible that we have been given power, love, and self-control, then I feel strong. God’s grace is good! It’s not anything of myself, but the spirit and love of God that gives me strength. And that feels so freeing to me.

• #15469 Reply
      whitneyelysewhitneyelyse

Thanks for the encouraging message Charlotte!

• #15479 Reply

Thank you so much for sharing Charlotte. This is such a key verse for enduring during times such as now. It is a great reminder of the strength and power we have within us to get through difficult times. Specifically it is applicable as my anxiety runs high with Evan working in the ICU on the front lines and doing many night shifts.  It’s hard not to worry about him being in contact with a Covid positive patient and what the ramifications of that could be. And it’s also hard for me, has been for many years, being home alone at night with the girls. This is a good scripture to remind me that I need not be timid and afraid but to have self-discipline with my thoughts and cling to God‘s strength and presence.

• #15523 Reply
      Participant

This is such an inspiring reminder of the attributes that we have because of  Holy Spirit. During this time of the pandemic, unfortunately I have found it easier to become more timid and cowardly in nature. As our in-person interactions have been reduced I’ve found it easier to stay closed off from society and live in my own world as I practice proper social distancing, so this is truly a good reminder of what the Holy Spirit provides us with. One of the ways I’ve have been ministered to lately would actually be being invited to participate in this devotional discussion 🙂 And one thing that I can do today to practice self-discipline is to intentionally take time to reflect on the Word and pray. Thank you for your words Charlotte and everyone else!

• #15886 Reply
      fiona.webbFiona Webb

Thank you Charlotte! I fear my anxiety has gotten worse the past few weeks but I do seek comfort in prayer and this Bible study, being surrounded by other faithful friends. Thank you!

Viewing 9 reply threads
Reply To: 2 Timothy 1:3-7
Your information: