5 The Lord watches over you—
      the Lord is your shade at your right hand;
      6 the sun will not harm you by day,
      nor the moon by night.

7 The Lord will keep you from all harm—
      he will watch over your life;
      8 the Lord will watch over your coming and going
      both now and forevermore.

When I was younger (early 20’s), I had developed some unrealistic fears.  I believe these fears came from lies that I believed about myself because of some poor choices I had made.  I suffered from bouts of anxiety and when I was in this state, I often turned to Psalm 121.  It always brought me comfort, and still does today.

I have also pondered other “ugly” things that I had done and “ugly” places I had been in my late teen years.  When I was in some of those “ugly” places, there were at least a couple of times that I had made, or so I thought “I” had made, some wise choices. I actually even wondered how I had made those “wise” choices after I had made them.

I now believe that it really wasn’t me making those wise choices, but it was my Heavenly Father looking out for me,  when  I   wasn’t    looking   out   for
      myself.  You know?  Like the scenario where someone has a flat tire, and then learns that because they had that flat tire, they missed being in a collision down the road?  You see, if I had gone with the choice I actually wanted to make at the time, it could have wrecked and hurt so many people’s lives, including my own.  I believe that God was pursuing me, even then – when I was in the pig pen.  I realized this after reading verses 3 through 8 many, many, many times.

I could really relate to Zack Williams song, “Fear is a Liar”, although I don’t suffer those fears anymore.  The song just makes me think of the old days with I believed those lies.  And I praise my God for helping me to choose truth.

Fear is a Liar – Zach Williams

When he told you you’re not good enough, When he told you you’re not right
      When he told you you’re not strong enough, To put up a good fight
      When he told you you’re not worthy, When he told you you’re not loved
      When he told you you’re not beautiful, You’ll never be enough

Fear, he is a liar, He will take your breath, Stop you in your steps
      Fear, he is a liar, He will rob your rest, Steal your happiness
      Cast your fear in the fire, ‘Cause fear, he is a liar

When he told you were troubled, You’ll forever be alone
      When he told you you should run away, You’ll never find a home
      When he told you you were dirty, And you should be ashamed
      When he told you you could be the one, That grace could never change

Fear, he is a liar, He will take your breath, Stop you in your steps
      Fear, he is a liar, He will rob your rest, Steal your happiness
      Cast your fear in the fire, ‘Cause fear, he is a liar

• #16075 Reply

Hi,

I am not sure if I should be saying thanks to Bea or Liz for sharing.  Thanks so much for sharing.  This reminded me for the many times I felt weak and challenged spiritually.  When I had no desire to fight or stay in the fight.  Yet some how something always pulled me back to where I needed to be.  It came from no desire of my own.  Yet the desire to do what was right, what I needed to do, came and stayed.

At these time I always believed that someone was praying for me and that allowed God to work in me.  I often attributed these prayers to my grandmother when she was alive.  Every morning she read and prayed through all her children and Grandchildren.  Some how that gave me comfort.

• #16076 Reply

This excellent devotional was provided by Bea Denby! There is some “operator” error going on on my part🤷🏼. I apologize

• #16078 Reply

Hi Bea, Thanks for thinking of this psalm. When I was growing up, my parents always held a Wednesday night devotional and Psalm 121 was always read. I grew up saying that psalm when sad, lonely or in need of help and guidance. It has always calmed my soul and remind me that God watches over me and never slumbers while on the watch.  What a reassuring psalm with which to end the year!

• #16081 Reply

Thanks for sharing . I to especially lately have been referring to psalms in particular for comfort and a reminder

• #16085 Reply
      Liz TurnerElizabeth J Turner

Thank you for sharing, Bea. God is so faithful, even when life is hard.

Viewing 5 reply threads
Reply To: Dec 28 Devo from Bea Denby
Your information: