Topic

Home Forums Women’s Chat Devo Group Rejoice and Weep (Nov 7)

Viewing 7 reply threads
  • Author
      fiona.webb
      Participant

Rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep.

Good day everyone! As December arrives and Christmas nears and we remember the birth of Jesus, the festivities and joy can often make reflection on the losses we have endured over the year and years prior difficult. This time of year is joyous but hard on many of us for different reasons, and now without being able to get together it feels even more difficult. Grief and joy may feel extra big this year. Come to me all who labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Matthew 11 verse 28 is a verse I reflect on throughout the year. To be there for one another in a time of grief is such a humbling and agonizing feeling, to lift our burdens and cries up to God makes our burdens lighter. You will find rest on your souls Matthew. 11 verse 29

He heals the brokenhearted and binds up their wounds. Psalm 147 verse 3. While prayer and thankfulness to our God help the wounds we endure, here on earth we still feel the pain of losing a loved one. Still festivities keep on around is, remembering as followers of Christ our reasoning and purpose for celebrating Christmas. Our brokenhearted-ness and wounds will no longer be felt when we reach heaven. As a church and personally, we have has many losses this year.

The beginning of December (today actually) marks one year since a car accident one of my friends was in that resulted her traumatic brain injury and took the lives of a friends twin sister and partner of 7 years. The grief is immense. This time last year I was diagnosed with type 1 diabetes. I grieve for my health still, but am learning just how thankful I am to live in this country, for the health I still have, the world God has created and the many thanks everyday to Him for the blessings and lessons I have been given. Still I rejoice with those who rejoice, and weep with those who weep. Emotions are high this time of year and I pray all of you can find comfort in our God as the season begins. Thank you all for your patience in posting this. Take care and have a great week! Love to you all!

Is there anything that stands out this time of year in your life? Or observations around us that cause us to reflect on a past time, a time of grief or joy? Feel free to share or reflect on your own. I understand it’s difficult for many to even talk about.

• This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by fiona.webb.
      • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by fiona.webb. Reason: Adding a question to reflect on
      • This topic was modified 7 months, 3 weeks ago by fiona.webb. Reason: Adding a question to reflect on
    • #15999 Reply
      Eva King

This is so true it is a happy family time of year, but also a time when you miss family even more! We lost my dad and Gary’s mom in the Decembers of 2010 and 2011.  Those happy and sad memories come back each December!  thx  for these timely thoughts Fiona.

• #16004 Reply
      Alisha MacMillan

Fiona,

Thank you for your thoughts. It is a different perspective for me, to remind me to consider that some individuals may experience this season in a very different way than I do. I have had some losses that I do think about each year as I do miss sharing the holidays with my grandmother’s who have both passed.. both of which always made every effort to be sure that Christmas was a special season of love for all of our family to enjoy.

But, I think that it is because of their efforts, that I have gone on to be able to really enjoy the beauty of this season and all of the fun traditions and winter activities. I am fortunate that I do not feel like I have had any experiences that have caused me to be broken hearted at this time of year, however your devotional is a very good reminder for me to remember to “weep with those who weep”… And to “rejoice with those who rejoice”; to remember that everyone is experiencing this life and this season differently than I am.

• #16005 Reply
      Vanessa

<p style=”text-align: left;”>Grateful for the recognition of sorrow, grief, loneliness from our sisters in Christ during this time for everyone. This is defiantly a reminder that we all struggle and have things , we are not alone. And we have one another, but most importantly we have God. Prayer and repetition and recognizing that we can cast our worries and fears, anxiousness onto the Lord and he will give us relief. This is also a reminder of the birth of Jesus and that we can still, no matter how much one is suffering, find the beauty and comfort in the holidays.</p>
      Love you all, my sisters.

• #16006 Reply
      Lavern Walters

Christmas has always been my favourite time of year.  I think my mom and my family has always made it so.  However, like Alisha, I think my big take away is to be mindful that not everyone shares the same sentiment.  I need to remember to weep with those who weep.  Thanks so much for sharing.  This has really given me a clearer perspective on things.  Thank for sharing.

• #16007 Reply
      Indra Riffell

At this time of year, I remember my mother who passed away so many years ago in December. With tears and smiles I recall going into her kitchen and watching her make all the Christmas baking…it smelled so good! This year, since my daughter from Regina could not make it in for Christmas, we decided to do something fun via facetime. We decided to remember my mother by baking her wonderful Christmas cake together. So when she started mixing her cake batter, I did as well. We put our cakes in the oven at the same time and enjoyed talking and laughing over facetime remembering Mum. Its good that God promised a new heaven and a new earth where there will be no death and no sorrows…I can’t wait to be there!

• #16008 Reply
      whitneyelyse

Thank you for this reminder, Fiona. I too have mainly happy memories and experiences associated around Christmas and I thank you for bringing into light that others may not enjoy the christmas season. I am also so sorry to hear about your friend’s brain injury and the deaths of your other two friends. Also, for your health. I hadn’t realized you were diagnosed. That must be such a change and adjustment for you. This year will be different for alot of people if not most. I’ve definitely never spent a christmas just Brad and I but thankful to have Thatch to enjoy it with too. My mom and dad made christmas so magical growing up- that I hope to continue that for Thatch. 🙂

• #16028 Reply
      Liz Turner

Thank you for this, Fiona. Grief and joy are certainly both feeling more big for me this year, and this is beautiful empathy and encouragement.

Viewing 7 reply threads
Reply To: Rejoice and Weep (Nov 7)
Your information: